Part 8 of Hitch Studio’s Wedding Day Designer Sneak Peek series!
This series includes sneak peeks of sections directly from the Wedding Day Designer! The Wedding Day Designer is our 148-page all-inclusive wedding planner, including checklists, timelines, tips, and more. Buy the full wedding planner HERE!
QUESTIONS TO ASK YOUR MUSICIANS/BAND/DJ:
• Is our wedding date available? How far in advance do we need to secure your services?
• Are you available for rehearsal, ceremony, and reception?
• How long have you been in business? If a band, how long has the group played together?
• How many weddings have you done? How many do you do in an average weekend?
• Have you done events at my ceremony and reception location before? If not, are you familiar with them?
• Can you provide me with 3–4 recent brides that I can contact for references?
Pricing and Packages
• What is your rate? Do you charge per hour? Are there travel fees? Which DJ will you get for that fee?
• What kinds of packages can you provide for uplighting, monograms, photo booths, etc.?
• If the event lasts longer than scheduled, what are the overtime charges?
• Does this include setup and breakdown between ceremony and reception locations?
• Are there any additional fees that could accrue, travel expenses or charges for special musical requests?
• If I hire musicians for the ceremony and want them to play at the rehearsal, what is the extra charge?
• Do you carry liability insurance?
• What is the deposit and final payment plan for the entire bill? What forms of payment do you accept?
• What is your cancelation/refund policy?
• When will we receive the contract? (Make sure to get everything in writing in the final contract.)
The Music in General
• How should I decide between a DJ and a band?
• Do you have a video link to a prior wedding where you performed?
• Will you emcee and make all of the announcements? Will you keep reception events on time?
• Will the work with the wedding planner at the reception to ensure a smooth flow of events?
• How extensive is your music list? What genres can you cover? (Or songs we don’t want played?)
• Can you assist me in choosing the music for my processional, recessional, father-daughter dance, etc.?
• How many people will you staff for my event? If a member is unable to perform, do you have a backup plan?
• How will the band/DJ be dressed?
• Do the DJ/ band members require a meal?
• Will the DJ/band need a break? How often? What music will be provided during the breaks?
• What type of sound equipment do you use? What is the backup plan if equipment fails?
Bands and Live Music
• How many musicians are there and what instruments do they play? How many vocalists are there?
• Do the band members interact with guests and get the crowd involved?
• Is there a charge for learning a special song request?
• Do you bring any kind of lighting to events?
• Do you have cordless microphones for the ceremony or speeches, if needed?
• Do you normally have props or games during the reception? What are our choices?
• What type of music can you provide for the ceremony? For the cocktail hour?
• What are your sound equipment and electrical needs? Does any of your equipment require special electrical outlets that we need to inform my wedding site about?
• Will the band/DJ need a stage, shade tent or other covering? Will you make arrangements for the stage or are we responsible for renting it? What kind of space do you require?
• How much time will you need for setup, sound check, and breakdown on the day of the event?
• Will you respect any noise limits or music curfew requirements designated by the venue?
• What weather conditions and temperature could cause you not to play?
Want to see more questions for wedding vendors? The Wedding Day Designer is 148 pages packed full of wedding planning information, written by an expert Certified Wedding Planner. The Wedding Day Designer can be purchased here!