Both Carrie and I (Renee Halgerson) are part of separate Masterminds groups. Our Masterminds groups are full of like-minded women who share wins, challenges, what’s working and what’s not each time we meet. Carrie meets every-other Friday. My group meets each week on Thursdays. No matter the frequency, just make sure you’re meeting often enough to cover
5 GUIDELINES OUR MASTERMINDS GROUP FOLLOWS:
- Everything is confidential and should be shared with an open heart and open mind knowing that it won’t leave the table.
- The member should have an entrepreneurial spirit — and should be working towards building a business or dream.
- The group should stay peer-led and not expert-led.
- The group should remain diverse in industry and not too defined that it limits us.
- We don’t gossip. We keep an interest in each other’s personal lives and believe in personal growth, but this meeting is for business. We follow a strategic plan each time. It’s structured and goal-oriented.
On February, 9, we had our annual retreat! I’ve been a member of this group since 2014, and it’s always the day I look forward to for taking a deep dive into our businesses. We try to uncover things that we don’t necessarily have time for in our day-to-day busy lives. Here is a glimpse of our agenda for the day to give you an idea of what we get into:
SCHEDULE FOR 2017 MASTERMINDS RETREAT:
• 8:30 a.m. — Yoga morning flow (led my Megan)
• 9:00 a.m. — Eat breakfast and each member gets 30 minutes to answer these questions:
1. Where I’ve been (How did I grow the most?)
2. Where I am (What are you doing now that works?)
3. Where I want to be (What’s your biggest hurdle?)
4. What resources and habits do you have? Which do you WANT?
5. What didn’t work? (What were your biggest struggles?)
• 11:00 a.m. — 2016 Goal Review and Set New 2017 Goals
Each person gets 15 minutes to give a quick review of 2016 goals and share:
1. Short term goals for 2017 (in the next 3-6 months)
2. 1-year goals for 2017 (in the next year)
3. Long term goals (end goal/big picture)
• 12:00 a.m. — Lunch
Talk about (and consider journaling about these items before you come [take a really deep dive]:
1. Past– What has happened in the past (a pre-conceived notion) that still might be holding you back?
2. Present — How are you getting in your own way from making your dreams happen? What could make your business thrive if you let it?
3. Future — What are you going to do/let go of to live the entrepreneurial life you want to live?
• 1:00 p.m. — Share marketing and advertising tactics that have worked for you and any other closing thoughts.
• 1:30 p.m. Dismiss
This retreat was so beneficial! After listing goals for 2017, realizing (self-made) barriers to these goals, and pouring my heart into some journaling, these are the questions that this process evoked for me:
- How can we grow each Hitch Studio division?
- What’s the plan for doing MORE weddings, but committing to FEWER work weekends (to prevent burnout and enhance family time)?
- How can we double our take-home pay? (Eeshta. This is a lofty goal) 🙂
- What is my purpose/goal/action plan/accountability through this process?
- How can I best let go of control, but not quality as I delegate some tasks?
- Business doesn’t have to be busyness.
- “To know one life has breathed easier because you have lived is to have succeeded.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
- How can I continue to teach, lead, design and grow my business?
- Take a moment to appreciate what we’ve built.
- What would I be building if I had the time?
- My business should work for me — instead of me working for it. (2017 goal)
Carrie has also set goals and says this about her Masterminds group: