It’s the second “Midwest Wedding Trends” blog post! If you missed the first post, here it is in all its glory.
This series by Hitch Design Studio will continue with one post every six months listing new trends coming to South Dakota for wedding planning and invitations, decorating and entertainment. Drumroll please for the December, 2014 list, which includes popular colors, games/entertainment, and invitation trends…
TRENDS WE PREDICT ARE COMING TO THE MIDWEST (Specifically Brookings, SD):
- Marsala (The dark, brick-colored red that’s Pantone’s Color of the Year for 2015!)
- Navy blue (Everything on this particular board comes with Hitch when you book us for a wedding!)
- Gold accents (Gold is the new silver and can accent just about any color palette.)
- Aqua and citrus (bright and beautiful.)
- Having a reception that is full of overflowing greenery and organic plants
- Having outdoor entertainment for your guests like bean bag boards, giant Jenga, croquet, tic tac toe cocktail tables, and more!
- Instead of a garter auction, try selling tickets to raffle off one of the custom bean bag boards or outdoor games!
- Comfort foods for appetizers are back! Mini meat loaf muffins, waffle stations, and smoked salmon have taken over the sushi days.
- Playing your wedding slideshow as guests mingle during the reception instead of stopping events to show it.
- Serving something other than cake at your reception! Maybe there’s still a cake cutting, but what about pies, cheesecakes, ice cream bar, or milkshakes too!
- Entering your reception after being introduced…and going straight to the dance floor for your first dance instead of walking to the head table.
- Personalized your wedding! We had one couple get engaged in a hot air balloon, so we made hot air balloons out of 36″ balloons tied to baskets of Oreos, their favorite treat.
- Having your reception in a rustic barn isn’t a new trend, but there is a new barn reception in Brookings starting next fall! Ask Hitch for more details. It’s just 1.5 miles north on Medary Ave.
- Using bistro globe lights outdoors and indoors at your reception.
- Simple and classy
- Special details like hidden initials or a heart tucked in the design, or love birds under the stamp area
- Textured and specialty papers, like feltweave or pearlized
- Envelopes liners that give a pop of color when guests open them!
- Custom watercolor details (hand-painted just for you!)
- Special spot-foiled invitations are totally in.
Comment below if you predict other trends! We like to collect other 2015 wedding trend predictions from our favorite wedding websites as well: Loverly, TheKnot and WeddingWire!
- Here are 15 other wedding trend predictions from Loverly, including multiple wedding day looks, boozy hot chocolate bars, unique escort cards, rose gold engagement rings and late night snacks.
- We LOVE 2015 wedding trends and TheKnot.com just released theirs as well, including ranch/leather looks, effortless/easy/boho-chic/Woodstock inspirations, drone and GoPro videos, apps like TaskRabbit for bridesmaids, food installations (like a hanging salad bar), unexpected wedding venues, flowers like dahlias and peonies, not just one dress — but three, and white glove and super fancy details including castles and champagne towers.
- WeddingWire just threw in their 2015 wedding trend predictions as well, including Marsala and copper, mini wedding cakes, temporary tattoo wedding favors, greenery, and a new type of flower called Astilbe, which is a feather-like flower.