Wow, do we love outdoor tent weddings! Although the wind, heat, and South Dakota weather were a factor that day, there’s something about having a lakeside wedding that can’t be beat.
Lana and Brendan celebrated their wedding day at Lana’s parents’ home on Lake Madison. What a personal place to have a ceremony! And let me tell you, Lana and Brendan didn’t miss a detail. Their wedding day flow was perfectly planned, with the ceremony starting on her parents back patio. Then the guests flowed to social hour a couple backyards down, and finally dinner was held in a tent across the road. But all three venues had a lakeside view. (You should have seen the sunset over the water!)
Special details to remember as you plan your outdoor South Dakota tent wedding:
- Be careful to put your chargers, linens, napkins, table numbers, or any decorations out to early — you don’t want them to get dusty, dirty, or any bird poop on them.
- Be careful with anything breakable that could tip over in the wind. We were careful to do these after the wind went down and slightly before the reception started.
- In order to reuse the chairs rented for the ceremony, Hitch Studio staff carried them from the backyard ceremony to be used at the head table at dinner. Be sure to put someone in charge of this, as well as carrying your ceremony decor to be reused at the reception. (Hey, you paid for some beautiful things! Reuse those flowers, garlands, and candles elsewhere at your wedding!)
- Because the bride wanted to stay cool and air conditioned, Hitch Studio staff also organized the music and the entry for the ceremony, so the day stayed on time and each bridal party member entered on cue.
- After social hour, we moved the cocktail tables and floral arrangements into the tent reception to be used again. Be sure to assign someone to that task as well!
- Because it was near 100° that day, we were very careful not to put out the cupcakes or candy buffet before it was time. We kept them refrigerated in a neighbor’s basement until it was the perfect time to get them out so they didn’t melt or get squishy.
- As guests finished eating, we helped clear the tables, chargers, empty glasses, wrappers, and garbages. Some outdoor caterers provide a bussing services and others don’t. Be sure to make sure someone is clearing your tables throughout the dinner.
- As her wedding planner, we also helped keep everything on a timeline, from the tent arrival to the rentals, to guiding guests to the next part of the wedding. We always made sure that sunscreen and bug spray were available and easy to find. The family mowed, watered the lawn, and sprayed for bugs a couple days before the ceremony, which was perfect for mosquito control. Hitch Studio had a rain plan (and a mud plan)…just…in…case.
- After the dance ended, the couple, the families, and all the guests got to party on and live happily ever after while Hitch Studio took care of the rest. It was no stress and no worries for them!
The best part about this is that you can hire Hitch Studio to do as little or as much of all this as you want. We can be full wedding coordinators, or simply wedding decorators. We can set it up, take it down, and help it all run smoothly should anything arise.