We’re always keeping ourselves in the know about changes in the wedding industry, current trends, and wedding planning advancements. We love this industry and how it continues to evolve! We summarized the data from WeddingWire’s 2020 Newlywed Report, the largest study of today’s wedding planning journey in the US. It’s based on data from 25,000 couples married in 2019, and added our own Hitch Studio Highlights to it! Check out Hitch Studio’s WeddingWire page if you’re interested in reading 55+ reviews!
- According to the 2020 Newlywed Report, the most important aspect of an engagement ring is the style/setting. Nearly 80% admit to dropping hints about their ring preferences and 7 out of 10 have involvement in selecting and/or purchasing the ring itself.
- Engagement length – The average engagement lasts 15 months. We often get the question, when is the best time in the planning process to set up an initial meeting with Hitch Studio? We can assist with our services as any point in your planning, however after you choose a date and venue we’re ready to hit the ground running! Start here with our Hitch Studio Welcome Kit.
- The month with the most engagements is December with 19%.
- Over 40% of proposers start putting plans in place one to three month in advance of the proposal. Let us help coordinate the details of your proposal, whether you want to make a grand gesture or keep it simple and intimate.
- Fall continues to be peak wedding season nationwide.
- For the fourth consecutive year, October is the most popular month to get married.
- Top 5 wedding Dates in 2020
- October 10, June 20, September 19, October 17, September 12
The average engagement lasts 15 months and over 85% of couples start discussing their wedding preferences before getting engaged. Despite being so proactive, couples still say one of their biggest challenges is “knowing where to start” and “planning within budget.” Luckily, Hitch Studio can help with both of these challenges.
When you hire Hitch, you aren’t just receiving an average decorator or planner, you’re choosing a team who is as dedicated to creating your dream wedding as you are! We provide you with unlimited answers to all your questions, guidance on the planning details, and alternative options to save money without compromising your vision for your big day. If you need a little extra assistance with staying on track, Hitch Studio owner and lead wedding coordinator, Renee Bauman, published the Wedding Day Designer which is a 58-page complete wedding timeline and checklist. Buy yours to get started planning today!
Top 8 Pre-Engaged Planning Actions
- Create inspiration / Pinterest board
- If you choose to work with Hitch Studio, we love viewing our bride’s Pinterest board to learn more about your styling and décor vision. This helps us out greatly at your centerpiece showcase!
- Look at wedding attire online
- Research wedding costs
- Research wedding venues
- Hitch Studio can also help with this! We have a vast knowledge of different venues in our region and how many guests they hold (especially in the Brookings or Sioux Falls, South Dakota area!)
- Start creating a guest list
- Check availability / cost of venues
- Read reviews of potential wedding vendors.
- Ask us about our preferred vendor lists! Whether you need a DJ, florist, or all of the above, we have a top picks list of vendors we’ve worked with and had success with in the past.
- Start following vendors on social media.
- This is a great way to get to know their company and if their a right fit for your event.
Who’s Involved in Planning?
In the 2020 Newlywed Report, data shows that brides still take on the bulk of planning responsibilities. However, that doesn’t mean you’re in it alone! One in three couples hire a wedding planner (like Hitch Studio!) to help with day-of-coordination and full-service planning. We’re all about those small details that lift a huge weight off our bride’s shoulders. Check out our wedding styling and planning packages to see if we’re a right fit for you!
Selecting a Vendor Team
Couples hire an average of 15 vendors for their wedding day. Like past years, vendor price is a key factor in deciding who to contact. Below is an overall vendor review rating from 2019 couples.
Reminder: Hitch Studio can help you with vendor recommendations!
- 12 years ago, the average couple got married at age 27, now the average is 32
- 1 in 4 couples met online
- 27% of couples own a home together
- 88% have spoken about future finances
- 74% discussed if one person would change their last name after getting engaged.
- 27% grew up in different regions or countries
- 49% have a pet together
New popular traditions are taking hold every day in the wedding industry. Here’s a few wedding trend fun facts that we pulled from the 2020 Newlywed Report!
- Over 25% of couples are now taking “mini-moons” in lieu of or prior to a full honeymoon.
- 28% of couples take a full honeymoon
- Unplugged ceremonies are trending
- Non-matching bridesmaids dresses are trending
- 79% of couples incorporate their wedding colors into their floral arrangements
- 79% create a wedding website to share details with guests
- 30% hire a wedding planner
One thing we feel strongly about at Hitch Studio is establishing a relationship with our couples to create an event that is completely unique to the couple. We love incorporating those added details that makes guests think “that is SO them!” With that being said, we are still a huge fan of traditions. Here’s a look at some of the top ceremony and receptions traditions for 2020.
- 60% had a ring bearer and/or flower girl
- 52% honored family that couldn’t attend
- 46% saw partner prior to the ceremony (“first look”) We can help ensure your first look goes off without a “Hitch”, get it? 🙂
- 41% had unique musical choices
- 38% wrote personal letters to each other that were read on the wedding day
- 91% of couples performed first dance
- 83% of couples had a cake-cutting ceremony
- 78% had and open-bar
- 50% hand grand entrance or exit. From start to finish, we can make your reception run smooth! We help coordinate sparkler exits and other fun send offs and grand entrances.
- 35% displayed unique wedding hashtag for guests to post. We love this idea! Photographers capture so much, but this is a great way to see those candid photos your guests are taking.
- 22% incorporated elements based on the city where the couple met or grew up
The three main aspects that couples consider as they’re determining their wedding budget are guest count, location and venue. We can help you choose vendors that are within your budget and also provide other budget tips and recommendations.
- Nearly 60% of couples increase their initial budget
- Couples on average spend roughly $28,000 on their ceremony/reception, which equals $215 per guest
- The venue is often the first decision a couple will make
- 54% of couples increase their budget during planning
- 62% of newlyweds say they don’t regret the splurge and would spend the extra money again
Top 5 Reasons for Budget Increases
- 45% found “must-have” items during planning
- 42% initial budget was set lower than reality
- 34% added custom/personalized elements
- 32% guest count changed
- 29% opted for upgrades
Average wedding cost by Category
Of all these trends, nothing compares to the special details you have planned for your wedding. If your wedding isn’t aligning with these trends, take a second look — or consider yourself a trend-setter because anything goes! If you have any questions about “what exactly does Hitch Studio do as my wedding planner/wedding coordinator/wedding stylist”? We’re here to help answer that. Meet with us for free and ask all your questions! We’d love to feature your wedding on the 2020/2021 trend list. 😉